Thursday 24 May 2012

Charlotte Carpenter






This week we have managed to chat to Charlotte Carpenter from Kettering, Northamptonshire. You can expect big things from this immensely talented young lady as she has just finished Uni and has been signed by Istartedthefire Records. Her pop folk is influenced by the likes of Laura Marling but with a much happier and pop feel. 

Suppose we better start at the beginning, how long have you been making music?


I've been songwriting since I was 15. so...nearly 6 years ago

Was that when you really started getting in music? Who were you listening to then?

Yes, that was when It really made a change in my life I guess. I was listening to a lot of what my dad was, so Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Alanis Morrisette and Beautiful South. But I also was hooked on Avril Lavigne haha

Is Avril still bit of a guilty pleasure? Haha

Haha yes! Her first album will never get old!

Your music now hasn't really got a Avril feel to it. Have you always been playing this pop folk?

I never really wanted to sound like her, from the start I was always happy being myself. It has been more pop-ier in the past but as I've grown and discovered artists like Laura Marling, Johnny Flynn and Mumford etc it has become what it is today I guess and I'm really happy with it.

It's a great sound and very popular at the minute and this shows with you being signed that must exciting? How did you find out?

Yeah, really exciting. It's the next step. I found out through a meeting that it was being spoken of, I met the label guy last week and my manager confirmed with me via email. I was on the train too, and I was beaming. People must of thought I was such a wierdo.

So its Istartedthefire Records that's right? What are there plans, what can we except from you?



They are the family/home of Jim Lockey and The Solemn Sun and Boat To Row, among many other great musicians. The 'Let It Go' EP I self released in February is being re-released with an added song and new video. I'll be promoting this and touring everywhere for it. I'll keep writing and practising and release another few records with them.



Have you done much touring yet? If you could play anywhere where would it be?

I have self booked two tours, the next one is from the help from my manager too. I have a really strong team of people helping me now. If i could play anywhere...it would be...glastonbury festival.

What a great festival! Do you prefer playing festivals or gigs? What festivals can people catch you at this year?

I love them both for different reasons, at festivals the atmosphere is really exciting and at gigs it seems more intimate. i guess, festivals are my favourite - just because i'm a big festival go-er myself. This year, I'm at Dot to Dot Festival, Beach Break Live, Barn On The Farm and Y Not.

They are some great festivals I wish you all the luck this year and keep us posted about any news. Thanks for the time.



Check out all her other songs and keep up to date with what she is up to using her Facebook.


Charlotte Carpenter Facebook


Follow and LIKE our Facebook and Twitter to hear about all the latest news and interviews.


JustNewMusic Facebook


JustNewMusic Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment