Tuesday 20 March 2012

The Little Indians Interview



The Little Indians are a great new Indie band from Baltimore, America; already they have 3 brilliantly catchy songs and i am sure may more to come. I first heard 'Lets Split' on a playlist and decided i wanted to find out more about them, so I could share it with you lot.

                              

Hi there The Little Indians can I just start by saying im a huge fan.

Hi there Just New Music.  I'll start by saying how we are fans of yours as well.  Cheers for giving our band a listen.

I have read bits about you but can you just start by telling us the simple stuff; first who plays which bits in the band? As there is 2 of you is that right?

The band is made up of me (Augustine Rampolla) and Kyle Gibson right now.  We've done all of our recording so far with just the two of us.  

The formula so far is this: I write a song and record it.  I'll play all the instruments except for the drums.  Kyle drums on the recording and plays a kind of co-producer role in the band.  The tunes all start out being written and recorded by me, but after we get a little deeper into the recording process I bounce all of my ideas off of Kyle.  It works perfectly because I'll usually over think everything, but I have Kyle to sort of tell me "yes" or "no, that's stupid" -- we mostly dig all of the same bands and general vibes of music, so it's nice to be able to have a second opinion that I can trust.
However now that we're wrapping up our first album, we're getting a live show together.  My friend Andrew Russell is playing guitar and we have a couple prospects to play bass and keys.


You were in a band together before how come you guys split? And what was this about Jake Gyllenhaal bringing you guys back together?

I guess we mostly split because one of our bandmates was treating us pretty badly by lying to and stealing from us.  He had a lot of personal stuff to work out and we all just kind of decided we couldn't be in a band with someone who needed to help himself in such ways.  Although, in the end it was more or less his band and without him the band couldn't go on.
Haha - The Jake Gyllenhaal thing was just a little quip.  A couple days after we "officially" decided we were gonna call it quits with the old band, Kyle and I went to see Source Code.   On the way back we were talking about how we were both moving to Maryland to live with our loved ones.  We decided that since we were gonna be in the same place, we shouldn't stop making music together.  Plus I thought the movie was rad.  And dude is handsome devil.

I first heard your tune 'Let's split' at the end of last year, when I heard it I knew it was going to stick in my head all day (which is a good thing by the way). Your new song 'Think Twice' does the same for me again do you mean to write such catchy songs or does it just seem to happen?

Well thanks.  It just happens I suppose.  I'm learning as a singer to find where my voice is comfortable.

Click on this link below to hear and buy there new track.



On your Soundcloud page you have put up a great cover of The Beatles 'Oh Darling' any reason for this? Are they much of an influence for you? 

Oh, for sure.  I love learning other people's songs and re-imagining them.  
I think I'd say The Beatles are probably my favorite band.  As songwriters they're so tasteful…just too good.  Our old band was based out of Chicago, and our bandmate Rico had a book with the chords/music to every Beatles song.  In our off time I just learned tons of their tunes.  After learning a bunch of em I really started to grasp chord progressions and songwriting a lot better.  Now I try to find our own (a little more contemporary) sound to mesh with the influence I got from their writing.
I'll definitely do more covers in the future.

I haven't yet seen you put up any live gigs? Is this something you will be doing? I suppose you will need a full band for this?

Yeah definitely.  As I said before we're working on piecing together a live group.  Kyle and I had just been focused on writing and recording an album before we started playing with other people.  
However, in the fall I started playing in the band Hellogoodbye as well.  We (Little Indians) are just finishing up with the recording process, and I'm leaving for the month of March to do some touring with Hellogoodbye.  So hopefully The Little Indians will start rehearsing this spring and play some shows in the summertime.  Ideally, once we get our live lineup down, we'd be playing shows whenever Hellogoodbye isn't playing shows.

And I know you have just released a song but will there be any more soon? Maybe an album at some point?

Definitely.  Our album is finished recording.  We're struggling with finding a way to get it mixed and mastered and released.  We're thinking about launching a kickstarter once I get back from this stint of Hellogoodbye shows (in April).
But our first album is an LP.  We're calling it "The Little Indians' First Album" and it'll be out as soon as we get it mixed and mastered.  Hopefully by June at the latest.


And finally Guys where did the name come from?


We were brainstorming names to call the group, and we had a list of a bunch of names. Kyle texted me one night and said "what about Little Indians?".  I was in the middle of reading Peter Pan at the time so at that moment it struck me in a good way. It had a nice ring to it, and the tie with the book makes me think of being young and how awesome it is to be young.  

So yeah that was it.  I've already said to Kyle, a part of me wishes we didn't settle on a name so quickly but what really counts is the music not the name. Plus I feel like the majority of band names are pretty stupid.  The Beatles is a pretty awful name but they're the biggest band ever.

Also, if I would have researched and realized there's tons of bands with either the word "Little" or the word "Indian" I probably would have chosen something different.  but I only realized it after we settled on it. haha

Cheers for doing this hope all goes well.

It means a lot that you reached out to us!  So thank you guys.

Dont forget to check out there facebook page and website:


And if you like what you have read here join JustNewMusic on facebook or just subscribe to the blog.


JustNewMusic

No comments:

Post a Comment